Monday, February 6, 2012

Entry 40: Poetry and Imagination

The poem is literally about the narrator putting poems inside his mouth and swallowing them, but figuratively it's describing the narrator reads poetry with ardor and ecstasy. We know the narrator can't really "eat" poetry because they are words on paper, and we don't eat paper (at least not normally). And of course there's not enough ink to be dripping down the corners of the mouth. The word "eating" is rather strong - it's essential to us - we all know the feeling of saliva forming, the texture and taste of food entering the mouth, the teeth press together and food getting ground into a mess, and finally pushing all that mixture to the back of the throat and down. Eating is essential and vital to all of us. It is also one of the biggest sources of happiness. When the narrator reads poetry, he takes up the beauty, thoughts and wisdom of the poem like consuming the nutrition of food.
I can say that...playing my guitar is like climbing a mountain. Moving on the rapid, rocky slope, my fingers begin to hurt a little. I climb higher and higher until the thinnest string. There, I reach the highest note and sit down, feeling satisfied that this climb lasts shorter than the last. I stride to different spots. The sounds that the mountain emanates pours into me, sweet and fresh, as I drink endlessly of that clean spring water.

No comments:

Post a Comment