Thursday, April 26, 2012

Entry 66: Something Unexpected

I really don't know what is "realistic" about the character's reactions when they see supernatural things. I mean, supernatural is already unrealistic, how would I know if people will really act that way? It also depends on the character's personality and background. Of course everyone will act differently to situations like that. A lot of times in fantasy stories the setting is completely imaginary so surely the characters must be very used to that sort of things and not be startled by them. Oh, maybe we're talking about how normal people in movies meet supernatural crap? Well then, that might contain some realistic elements. I'd say, even though each person may still act according to their traits, most of them will be awfully scared. In real life people usually get frightened when something abrupt and weird happens. In most of the stories I've read the characters indeed get very surprised by things like that. If they act as though it's funny or it's absolutely normal, it's usually for comic effects. Personally I get totally freaked out by those things. I used to be really scared of ghosts and monsters that I'm afraid to walk near a dark room. I've never really "seen" them, but my father likes to tell stories like that and I became even more scared. This is why I never watch horror movies. I only watch thriller movies like Psycho. And now I'm not as scared of them because when I see monsters and ghosts in movies or even video games I know exactly that they are fake.

4 comments:

  1. haha "supernatural crap?" I like your use of language here.
    What do your mean by comic effects? The character jumps up and with their mouth open like this?
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PHRPl0iEQtc/TentECsGWiI/AAAAAAAAAHE/-Ed3J5ZUB0U/s400/shocked.jpg
    High five for not watching horror movies and scared ourselves!

    I was going to say scare the crap out of ourselves but i think Mr.McCool reads these so i am going to use clean language. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't count "crap" as a bad word. ;)
      Hahaha nice picture! Although that wasn't what I was talking about it's surely another form of comic effect. I was trying to say that some characters will NOT be frightened so as to make the situation awkward and funny. Like if a ghost tries to scare a person, he/she then turns around and greets it warmly and scared the ghost instead...

      Delete
  2. You know what actually nothing is supernatural because everything is under His control. See that paramecium right next to your keyboard? Yes that's right; God puts him there for a purpose. So it's of course supernatural for those people who don't believe in God because they don't understand that there are things that can't be explained by science. The reason why there are things explainable by science is because God wants to give the human race a sense of accomplishment; actually, it was God who threw the apple on Newton's head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, "supernatural" refers to anything unexplainable by natural law, so God is also supernatural. According to Dictionary.com, one of the definitions of "supernatural" is "of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or attributed to God or a deity."
      Although I'm Christian as well, I don't think it's the best idea going around trying to convert everyone into believing your God. Of course, no offense here.

      Delete