Monday, April 30, 2012

Entry 67: A Miracle

A miracle is something totally impossible that happens. At first miracle refers to the deeds of God, but people now can use it to describe something tremendously surprising or impressive. For example, an unprecedented accomplishment in medicine can be titled a "miracle" in medical science. A miracle is something good. You would not call a sudden death of someone young a miracle just because it's highly unlikely to happen. But if that person is someone harmful to the society and he or she dies that might somehow count as a miracle. I think the difference between something unusual and a miracle is that unusual means it's above 60 percent unlikely, while a miracle is 99.5 percent unlikely to happen. I believe in miracles, and I have to because I believe in God and science. There are always stories about how a person survives after being struck by thunder, or recovers from a deadly illness such as cancer. To whom each person attribute these things is another topic, but they would all agree that they are miracles. I can't remember if I ever witnessed any miracles. The word "miracle" today seems to be used more in a sarcastic sentence than a positive one. That's just my observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment