Thursday, April 19, 2012

Entry 64: Rites of Passage

I believe I have gone through quite a few rites of passage in my life so far. The first days of kindergarten and elementary school, even though I don't remember much, were the start of me being a student. The day I came to PAS marks another period of my academic life. I began to have motivation and goals and of course, to learn another language. Being a girl, my body "transformed" as I grow. I was the more, if not the most, mature-looking girl in my class. In about forth grade I already had visible breasts while other girls were almost flat. (I had a class full of girls and only two guys) The actual rite of passage for that would be the day I start to wear bras, I guess. Then, of course there was the time my period came.
Time for some other rites of passage. Now just when I say that I realized how few rites of passage have I gone through. Dang. I know there are a lot of those rites in our lovely aboriginal tribes, like the Atayal tribe's tradition of face tattoos. Only grown women who can weave and grown men who can hunt have the honor to get tattooed.
"Passage" is definitely a symbol for the journey of life, and "rite" is ceremony, often religious.

2 comments:

  1. Your are the most mature girl in the class, i saw the year book of you guys in 6th grade. I dont know if it is a complement (defiantly not offense) but your look like your 2 years older or your in the wrong class.
    Although we don't go through as many rites of passage as people did back than but as female, we goes through a lot more rites of passage than males. dont you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god that terrible photo of me in 6th grade!! XD
      I don't know for sure, though. There are definitely some rites of passages more for boys than for girls. For example their voices change, which also happens to girls but not as obvious.

      Delete