Monday, September 19, 2011

Entry 3: Values

I think the most important value in people's lives should be living at the moment. It's not like playing and having fun all the time, but just being responsible and making your life worthwhile. A good amount of both fun and work, I would say.
Tom Benecke in "Contents of the Dead Man's Pocket" first valued his promotion. He wanted money and power. Later, however, his values changed because of the terrifying experience. When he climbed out of the window to get the yellow paper essential for his proposal, he realized that his life would not get any better if he went on like this after he survived. That made him decide to change his values. He gave up the chance of promotion and went to the movie with his wife instead. Now he placed a higher value on living his life, pleasantly.
My values in life include, like I said before, living at the moment. I don't want my life to be wasted, and it's not a good thing to be suffering all the time. I want to live my life as fully as I can. I place my health as second, because I can't do anything with a sick or tired body. Sleep is always important to me. "Love" is also a valuable thing. Here I mean love in general, love from parents, friendship, love for a pet, etc. I can't decide between "fun" and "achievement" for the next one. They are both important and sometimes they can overlap. Then, I'd say I value money. If I say I don't then I'm lying.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, love is a very valuable thing that we cannot exclude from our lives.

    You know...you and I have very similar values!

    YESSSS! I'm the first one to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that living in the moment should be a little bit down my list. The health of my own body should come first and family second. Because I believe that without a healthy body, nothing could be accomplished. So before any of the "life enjoying" things can take place, I think health should come first. Good post!

    ReplyDelete