Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Entry 4: Time

In the story "Contents of the Dead Man's Pocket," Tom realized that he had been out there on the ledge for only eight minutes. Jack Finney made time move slowly by throwing every detail into the story. He described Tom's thoughts, feelings, and all the little actions he did to show how he felt. The author also avoided mentioning time before page 29. Therefore, when the readers went along with Tom's flashbacks and decisions, we assume that a long time must have passed for these events to happen. It turned out the opposite.
When I struggle to keep myself awake in class, the time always seems to freeze. I'd be in the state of being half conscious and half unconscious, and every time I check the clock it would be in almost the same position as before. The attempt to stay awake in boring classes is just painful.
When time seems to move incredibly fast, it's usually when I'm doing something I like to do. For example, time just lapses so fast every time I start drawing.
Sometimes, though, time can be slow and then fast, or fast then slow. Like, during the week, I would be on Tuesday and I'd think that the week takes a long time to pass. But when it's Thursday, I'd feel like, "Wow it's already Thursday!"

No comments:

Post a Comment