Monday, December 12, 2011

Entry 35: Being Pushed

My parents are not the kind that will push me to do something I absolutely hate. Most of the time they don't. Except, several years ago when I was giving up on math, they told me to get at least a basic mathematical ability and not to fail. They talked to me for, who knows how long, on why I shouldn't be giving up this subject so early. I resisted at first, and that's for sure because I hated math so much, but they insisted. They sat down with me to teach me the most basic mathematical calculations (such as fractions, decimals, etc) that I should have learned in school but both the school and I was not doing a good job. Of course I would not just stand up and walk away, they are my parents, they have some power over me and I have to obey them. So I stayed and probably listened, but how much I did get I do not know. Nevertheless, they did persuaded me that if I didn't work hard on math back then, today I would struggle even more. They told me not to think about how much I hate math, not to even let the thought to cross my mind. Just work those problems through, practice more. Even today, math is my worse subject at school. Somehow I just can't seem to fully understand how those numbers and symbols work and how they keep switching position until they produce the correct answer. Algebra makes little sense to me. But now I'm taking Algebra II and my mom expects me to get a B. With such a teacher, every student suffers. Yes, my parents even pay a tutor for me, it seems like I could so easily get a B+ compared to other students who also struggle. Well, if that's true I will be getting an A now like my other classes. My parents are still pretty reasonable, my mom says a C in Pre-Calculus (which I will be taking next year) is fine. I...I can only hope that I won't fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment