Thursday, December 15, 2011

Entry 37: Why Be a Prodigy?

Jing-Mei's mother believes that a person can be anything he/she wants to be. She thinks that through hard work, everyone can excel. She wants Jing-Mei to be a prodigy because she wants to be proud of her daughter, so she could brag with other people, and just simply because she believes Jing-Mei can. Jing-Mei tries to meet up with her mother's expectations at first because she supposed that if she does then her parents would love her and she would be perfect. Later on her motivation changed because she failed too many tests that her mother gave her. She was frustrated that she could never be anything her mother wants, so she decides to just be herself. She gave up on herself and her mother. She doesn't want to listen to her mother anymore because she doesn't want to feel the same hateful feelings of failing. After her motivation changed, Jing-Mei creates major conflicts with her mother because she is obviously rebelling against her power.
My mother was never that traditional. Before my sister and I came to PAS she fought endlessly for a better education for both of us, especially for my sister. My sister, maybe because she is older than me and that schools were worse before, she had several horrible experiences with terrible teachers at school. My mother never forced me to meet up with some impossibly high expectations. I had mediocre grades in elementary school, and she never complained about it. When she let me have piano lessons she didn't force me to continue it when I said I didn't want to play piano anymore. I was only about 6, piano was boring me to death. However, being raised in an environment like Taiwan, I know how traditional Chinese parents think and act. From times to times I would be so grateful that my parents aren't like that and that I have really good relationships with them. I don't think the traditional Chinese way works very well. If I were born in a family like that I'm sure I won't have as much achievement as I have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment