Monday, March 5, 2012

Entry 51: Heart!

In Emily Dickinson's poem, "Heart! We Will Forget Him!" Dickinson personifies her heart. Her heart becomes a separate being, although still part of herself. She treats her heart differently because she wants to forget the man she loved. She tries to use her mind, or her reason, to overcome her feelings. She also does that to feel like she is not alone. When she has lost the man she might be extremely depressed and desolated. It might be the reason why she talks to her own heart, so as to feel like the task of forgetting the person is not done alone. The poem gives off a feeling that, the emotions are harder to forget than cognitive ones. In the poem Dickinson tells her heart to hurry up or else her mind will remember the man again. It seems like she is able to put the memories of him aside in her head but not so much in her heart.
I can't recall a time when I tried to separate my thoughts and feelings, at least not intentionally. Most of the time I think I'm quite a logical person. When I feel an emotion I usually think about it either at once or afterward and analyze the feeling, reflecting why I feel that way. I guess that basically means I separate thoughts and feelings all the time. However I still consider both things one, not separated.

No comments:

Post a Comment