Thursday, October 13, 2011

Entry 10: Taboo

Taiwan has a lot of taboos. Since the Chinese word for "four" sounds like the word "death", it is forbidden to say in some places, especially hospitals. Most hospitals don't have a forth floor. They name it the fifth floor instead. (which can get confusing if you're not used to it.) To me this kind of taboo is neither good nor bad. It's just there. It does no particular benefit but does no harm.
Another taboo is that you have to take off your shoes when you enter someone's house. I didn't even realize this is a taboo until one day an American teacher told me. Taking off one's shoes is just a sign of politeness, because most Taiwanese people wear slippers at home, and so to keep the rooms clean. I think this is actually better than wearing shoes into houses. I like my floors to be clean and wearing slippers is just so much more relaxing.
Some people also believe that writing names in red is dangerous, because red resembles blood. You will bring bad luck to yourself or another person if you write the names with a red pen. I don't practice such superstition. I write names with whatever color I want. I love red, it's a powerful color.

No comments:

Post a Comment