Thursday, October 20, 2011

Entry 13: Unpredictable

Hmm what could I say about myself doing unpredictable things? At this moment I can only name some random things, such as, I thought I would never draw chibis (a way of drawing cartoon figures that has huge head, small body, and is widely considered cute) but last week I drew some of the musicians I like into chibi forms. I know this has nothing to do with struggling for conflicts or whatever.
Forgive me for skipping this question.
An unpredictable action or decision could affect a real-life event either positively or negatively. If positively, the event might have a surprising turn and ends happily. Negative effects on the event could result in severe consequences, due to the unpredictably stupid nature of the action.
Unpredictability in stories usually occurs when the conflict comes to a deadlock. The story needs some kind of a twist, either leading the conflict to resolution or making it worse. Characters who do unpredictable actions could, one, make the character more interesting, and two, emphasize the personality of the character by telling what he/she would NOT do.
Humorous stories, or jokes, are meant to be unpredictable. It is this unpredictability that make people laugh. Jokes are funny because the action of the character is surprisingly stupid or random.  People laugh at absurdities because they could thus feel smarter.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Catrina:

    Make sure you write at least 200 words.

    -M. McCool

    ReplyDelete