Monday, October 31, 2011

Entry 17: My Favorite Stories

Some of my favorite books/stories include all the Jin-Yong(Louis Cha) wu-xia novels, James and the Giant Peach, a Chinese folk tale named Dung Beetle City, Pride and Prejudice, The Neverending Story, and Lord of the Flies. These stories captured my interest because they have interesting characters and plot. Some also have interesting settings.
I read all of the Jin-Yong novels in second grade, even though I don't understand a large part of the writing and skipped many details. I just enjoyed the different martial arts and weapons, the interesting characters, and the general plot of the stories. They are exciting to read. I read James and the Giant Peach not that long ago, but the story stays in my mind forever ever since. I love all the bugs in the book. They are funny and the plot is hysterical. I was also impressed by the illustrations by Lane Smith. He is influential.
The story Dung Beetle City - I think you can infer how smelly the story is from its name - is one of the best story ever. It's about this young man who emanates a natural floral scent. Everybody loved him...until he accidentally enters Dung Beetle City. The whole city stinks. The young man was walking down the street, feeling strange, when suddenly all the residents started chasing him because he smells "filthy." He trips and falls into a dung pool. After that the residents find him no longer smelling funny and treated him nicely as a guest. The young man stays in the city for many years, and gets married. When he finally returns home with his wife and money, everyone loathes them now because of their smell. Nobody wants his money either. His wife dies early due to depression, and later he dies in his house, alone, holding all his money.

No comments:

Post a Comment