Monday, October 17, 2011

Entry 11: Conflicts

Some internal conflict John faces in "By the Waters of Babylon" is that he has to overcome his fear of the Dead Places and the Place of the Gods. He has to go there to fulfill his curiosity. The external conflicts John faces were the Ou-dis-sun River, the wild dogs, and the Forest People. He struggled to cross the Ou-dis-sun River to enter the Place of the Gods with a raft. That is John v.s. nature. He has to avoid being attacked by the dogs in the Place of the Gods. And while he returns from the journey he was chased by the Forest People.
I faced internal conflict when I was troubled by my perfectionism. I'm always at war with myself when I can't help but spend more than enough time on something trivial. For example, sometimes a school assignment requires only a small amount of effort, but I might waste my time making my writing neat. This is one of the things I've been trying and am still trying to change about myself. I admit there's advantages with perfectionism. My works are always very organized and neat, and that's something I'm proud of.
An external conflict I've faced was when I first came to PAS. The obstacle was English. I have to overcome the language by learning it. At first I knew scarcely any English. I had to endure the period of being in the middle of a completely strange environment that I could not fit in. I couldn't understand the textbooks but I read them anyways. I wrote without grammar and failed every class. Eventually, my English improved over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment