Thursday, November 3, 2011

Entry 19: Nectar in a Sieve

At first, the epigraph seemed incomprehensible. Then, (after knowing what a sieve is) an image of nectar escaping from the holes of a sieve came to my mind. That's when the epigraph started to make sense. In order to work, you need hope to make your efforts worthwhile. If you don't have hope, or a goal to work for, your work receives nothing good in return. Even if you do get some, they wouldn't last, just like using a sieve to pick up nectar. Nectar symbolizes sweet, rewarding things. And a sieve is work without hope; hollow efforts. Your hope comes from your desire for something. Hope just can't be hope if there is no object to wish for. To summarize the idea, work needs hope to succeed, and hope needs an object.
I think this epigraph applies to many aspects of my life. When I work, there must be something I hope for, a goal that I wish I could achieve. For example, although I don't like homework, I do them and hope. Most of the time I hope for getting a good grade or if I work quickly I could have some spare time to do what I want. To set a bigger hope, maybe I could get into a better university. I don't know about the latter, but I do get good grades by doing homework. That's the nectar I'm collecting. The same concept applies to when I'm working on my artworks. I work on them while thinking that I could become a better artist by practicing. I hope I can draw better, and that's what drives me to work and in the end I improve. Improvements are the nectar from the efforts I spend on drawing. I think there's nothing more to say about "And hope without an object cannot live," because it's apparent that hoping without actually hoping for something just doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment