Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Entry 30: Symbols of Heritage


Some things in my home that represent heritage are the paintings by my grandfather and teapots.
My grandfather learned to paint in his later years, but he was talented. I don’t remember when we hung the paintings but it was a long time ago. I have gotten so used to them that I couldn’t even recall them until Jeremy said something about calligraphy in his home. The big painting that we hung just above our couch is a landscape done with brush and ink. It has about the same width as a couch. Ink is one forth of Chinese (or Asian) culture, literally. Our calligraphy, other writings, and paintings, are all associated with ink. Growing up in Taiwan, I am also exposed to a large portion of these things outside of my family. The paintings on the wall of our house will always remind us of our grandfather and the deep Chinese culture we inherited.
My father has several teapots. He uses them to boil Pu’er tea leaves. Tea is part of our lives, our culture and heritage. Some of those teapots are actually quite artistic. Often after dinner each one of use would hold a cup of tea and enjoy the freshness it brings by washing away that greasy feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment